Sunday, August 30, 2009

Email and letter excerpts 8/17/09

8/17/09 - Dear Mom & Dad,

They actually tried to deliver a package yesterday and the day before, but there are problems with that in our apartment. To explain- I checked the mail and there was a key in our small mail slot to the bigger mail slot for the package. Unfortunately, it didn't work, so the apartment office people said they'd leave a note for the postal service just to leave the package with them.

Wow, sounds like life's busy again back there. Well, I guess Pepperdine hotel is being of service to a bunch of people. I plan to check in myself in 19 months :)

How are Ben & Ryan doing?

And tell Sarah not to worry. I'm not good at writing either :( But I suppose if I want to write her, pretty soon I'll just be able to use the house address!

Joshua trees... hm... I'm not sure they'd be very good decor outside of the desert. Anyhow, I have not been to Joshua Tree National Park. I didn't know about it, but I doubt I'll get the chance to go there. You know, rally up the missionaries to go see Joshua trees for their P-day activity (I guess I'm a little bit of an oddball).

Okay, our apartment is Spanish missionaries at this moment. It used to have six, but Elder Popham, who I mentioned, and Elder Orr, his new companion, actually move out, just leaving Elder Clayton and I, and our new companions, Elder Stotts and Elder Johnson, respectively.

Yep, Elder Johnson was in the city before here. He's rather amazed at the lack of OYMing. But that's mostly because you walk around out here, and YOU DON"T MEET ANYBODY. Very different from the city.

Yep, I had a bunch of fun with maps since I came out here. I don't know if I mentioned this, but I've learned a lot more about my area geographically since I came here. Hopefully I'm getting better at navigation in general.

Today on P-day we went to a cool place in the desert and rode our bikes on some hills and such. Since transfers we've had more time to spend up in North Adelanto so we have a couple of new investigators. Elizabeth is an 18-year-old who is five months pregnant and wishes she could have waited. She loves the coming baby though and wants to give it a better life so she's taking the discussions. She asked asked if we had families (kids) of our own and I just talked about our missions and what we do for two years...that if we had a family and kids we couldn't really do this. We're also teaching Remedios, a middle-aged man who has taken some discussions before. We're hoping that he should progress as he has desires to know and even some feeling that it seems true.

Summer in the desert (or the hottest part) may not last much longer. We've already had a couple cooler days but it hasn't finished winding down just yet.

My Spanish may be getting better (I hope). Interviews with the President went well this last time. I missed Zone Conference though, because the Spanish missionaries were requested at a funeral.

By the way, our roommates, Elders Stotts and Clayton, got their bikes stolen and then found them later in a park. The thieves had taken Elder Calyton's bike pump and handle grips (... why?... people are strange) and had thrown Elder Stott's bike off of a roof. (My bike is perfectly fine.)

Sorry this is short. 'Till later,

Adrian

No comments:

Post a Comment