Sunday, August 30, 2009

Email and letter excerpts 8/10/09

8/10/09 - Dear Mom & Dad,

Yep, my new companion is a D.L. But I roomed with a D.L. before, so I'm not sure how much more of the administrative side I'm going to see.

And yes, we get to continue using a car. Only one of the four Spanish areas in the desert is a bike area. We used to have three areas, and when they added the fourth, they didn't have any more cars to add, so they just added a bike area, but it sounds like it's going well.

We now have eight missionaries in the ward. The area I'm in split/changed a bit to make room for the new Spanish area. We get to spend more time in the desert-y Adelanto area than we used to. And, as I think I've said, I love the desert :)

You asked for info about the other elders in my apartment. Elder Popham is a fun-loving guy, tall and skinny like me and is from Utah. I enjoy his humor. He came into the field the same time as me but he's an English-speaking elder, so he's one transfer younger (less MTC time). He now has a companion named Elder Orr who seems really good and nice and a good worker. He's serious and is adjusting to the desert (he's from Canada) and he has his own type of humor. He can do a creepy impersonation of "Edward Saladfingers".

Elder Clayton's new companion is Elder Stotts. He is quite upbeat and good at telling stories and good to have around. My new companion, Elder Johnson, was in the same MTC district as Elder Strang (my first companion). The were both originally called to Russia, but then they temporarily stopped sending missionaries there and they both found out one week before entering the MTC that their calls had been changed to Spanish - California San Bernardino! He's a good, dedicated worker from a small mountain settlement in Utah and is glad to be in the desert away from the big city.

Scripture thoughts for the week - 3 Nephi 20:26; 3 Nephi 20:40 is a missionary scripture and 3 Nephi 26:9 - there's more stuff on the way if we believe in what we are given. Jesus commanded us to search these things ... even Isaiah... :|

Sincerely, Elder Pepperdine

No comments:

Post a Comment